Who doesn't love a good Mexican dish, am I right?!
This recipe is fun, easy and so so good!
Ingredients for Healthy Chicken Enchiladas
Whole wheat flour tortillas
Homemade red enchilada sauce
Vegetables – corn, black beans, yellow onion, garlic and cilantro
Cheese – Shredded Mexican cheese
Spices – chili powder, cumin, salt
Toppings – scallions, cilantro and jalapeños
One way to speed up your preparation time is to make the enchilada sauce ahead of time! You can store in fridge until ready to use.
1 teaspoon olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 chipotle peppers (from adobo sauce)
1 Tablespoon of adobo sauce from can
1 16 oz can tomato sauce
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 cup low sodium vegetable or chicken broth
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh pepper
CHICKEN & VEGGIES
1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
2 cups cooked shredded chicken (about 2 breasts)
1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
1/2 cup cooked black beans
1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup cilantro
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/2 cup enchilada sauce (from above)
8 7-inch whole wheat flour tortillas
1 1/2 cups shredded Mexican cheese, divided
green onions and fresh cilantro, for topping
jalapeños, for topping (optional)
plain Greek yogurt or sour cream (optional)
sliced avocado (optional)
1. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add oil and sauté garlic until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes. Add chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, tomato sauce, oregano, chili powder, cumin, broth, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5-10 minutes. This will help thicken the sauce. Set aside until ready to use.
2. Preheat oven to 400°F degrees.
3. Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté onions and garlic until soft and translucent, about 4-5 minutes. Add chicken, corn, black beans, cilantro, chili powder, cumin and 1/2 cup enchilada sauce to the skillet. Stir to combine and cook for another 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat.
4. Spray a 13 by 9-inch glass baking dish with non-stick spray. Fill each tortillas with 1/4- 1/3 cup of the chicken & black bean mixture, a sprinkle of cheese and roll it UP.
5. ace rolled tortilla into the baking dish, seam side down. Once all the tortillas are filled, cover with remaining sauce and sprinkle remaining shredded cheese over top.
6. Cover with aluminum foil and bake in the oven on the middle rack for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted and enchiladas are warm throughout. Serve enchiladas with your toppings of choice: green onions, fresh cilantro, jalapeños, sliced avocado and Greek yogurt and/or sour cream.
This recipe is also added on our Pinterest page, save here!